BRONX MAN SENTENCED TO 18 YEARS IN PRISON FOR FATALLY SHOOTING MAN AFTER DISPUTE

BRONX MAN SENTENCED TO 18 YEARS IN PRISON FOR

FATALLY SHOOTING MAN AFTER DISPUTE

Defendant Convicted by Jury of Manslaughter; Fired Four Shots into Group

 

         Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark today announced that a Bronx man has been sentenced to 18 years in prison for killing a man on a Bronx street after a petty dispute.

 

District Attorney Clark said, “The defendant had been in a fight, and got a gun he had stashed in a bodega and fired four shots at a group of people on a street corner, killing one man. A jury has convicted him and now he will serve 18 years in prison. We will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone who brings gun violence to our streets.”

 

District Attorney Clark said the defendant, Yousi Edwards, 28, of 185 Webster Avenue,  was sentenced today to 18 years in prison for Manslaughter and 15 years for Criminal Possession of a Weapon, to run concurrently, and five years post-release supervision by Bronx Supreme Court Justice Margaret Clancy. Edwards was convicted by a jury on March 5, 2018.

According to the investigation, on December 14, 2014, at about 4:30 a.m., Edwards got into a dispute inside an illegal club on East Burnside Avenue. The fight spilled into the street, and Edwards went to the bodega next door, where he had stashed a gun before entering the club. He retrieved the weapon and fired four shots into a group of people outside the bodega, striking Christopher Chau, 29, once. Chau died of his wound.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Theresa Gottlieb, Chief of the Trial Division, and Assistant District Attorney Justina Collins of Trial Bureau 20.

Print Friendly
Share this Article: