Gunman Disarmed by Anti-Crime Unit

Gunman Disarmed by Anti-Crime Unit
by David Greene

An armed man was dramatically wrestled to the ground, disarmed and placed under arrest by a team of anti-crime officers patrolling the Soundview / Van Nest border.

Offering few details, an NYPD official stated that the officers observed the individual at the Northwest corner of the Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road and Rosedale Avenue, at 3 p.m. on Thursday, December 7.

Yeah, you got me is the look on Kevin Crosby’s face after being allegedly being caught for the second time with a loaded gun.–Photo by David Greene

A half dozen passersby witnessed the four plain-clothes officers scuffling with the man for a minute or two, before a unit from the 43rd Precinct arrived and they eventually brought the man down onto the sidewalk.

Officers left the man’s gun, a Sig Sauer 9MM on the ground where it fell. Police quickly arrested and later charged Kevin Crosby, 21, of 44 Metropolitan Oval with criminal possession of a weapon, resisting arrest and obstructing governmental administration.

The official noted that among Crosby’s prior arrests, includes another weapon arrest, when he was arrested in the South Bronx with a gun by officers within the confines of the 40th Precinct on New Year’s Day, 2015.

Residents watch as an anti-crime unit and NYPD officers wrestle a man to the ground and disarm him.–Photo by David Greene

Meanwhile, police have announced one suspect is in custody and three others are being sought in connection with the robbery and assault of an off-duty NYPD officer who was robbed of his service weapon.

Officials say the unidentified officer was leaving a fundraising event and was attacked by four men, along Carter Avenue in the Mount Hope section at 3 a.m. on Sunday, December 10.

The officer was struck over the head with a bottle and the attackers ran off with the officers gun. The officer suffered a laceration to the head and is reported to be in stable condition.

Late Sunday the NYPD reported one of the suspects was in custody and police continued to search for the remaining trio.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share this Article: