Ivy League Win In Bronx Goes To Dartmouth

By William Coppola- Contributing Writer Bronx Chronicle Sports

The setting alone for this Ivy league football game between Dartmouth and Princeton at Yankee Stadium on a crisp 43 degree day in the Bronx, only added to the rich tradition these two institutions have had over the years. It marked the 94th time they have met is the past 116 years.

Their first football game came on October 24, 1903 and Saturday afternoon at Yankee Stadium, students and alumni from both universities would come to see the two top undefeated teams in the Ivy league fight it out in a game that could determine who will win the league championship.

Princeton star QB Kevin Davidson, who came into the game leading the Ivy League in passing yards 2040 and TD’s 19 was sacked on the first play by Dartmouth linebacker Ross Andreasik. That was followed by a rush around end by defensive end Niko Lalos on the next play that forced an incomplete pass that was deflected by Lalos

Then after a change of possession and a missed field goal by Dartmouth, Davidson threw a pick six to Lalos to give Dartmouth a 7-0 lead. All of that was the prelude to what was to become a very frustrating afternoon for the “Tigers” of Princeton.

It then looked like Princeton would be back in the game when they took the ensuing kickoff and moved it to the Dartmouth six with a clever mix of pinpoint passing by Davidson and the power running of Collin Eaddy. Davidson would completed a pass to Bobo, Carson for 14 yards where big green’s Ryan Roegge forced and recovered a fumble on the Dartmouth 6.

“They have a perfect defense,” said Princeton coach Bob Surace..”They scored on defense and a couple of field goals. They have 17 seniors.  They won every one of those little battles especially the turnovers, the sacks. They are an excellent team. Credit goes to them.”

Credit: Robert Cole

They followed that with a drive of 11 plays covering 68 yards where they turned the ball over after a missed fourth down conversion.

After that, Princeton kept losing wheels off the cart. At 13:35 of the second quarter Davidson was intercepted by Isiah Swann, his second of the day. Dartmouth then plowed down the field with Jared Gerbino taking it in from the one yard line for a touchdown and a 14-0 lead. Gerbino rushed for 99 yards on 16 attempts and engineered his teams clock eating drives for scores the entire day. 

Yet it was Dartmouth’s ability to dominate with a ferocious defense that Princeton just could not figure out that won the game for “Big Green.” Dartmouth ran for 225 yards to Princeton’s 36 while Princeton passed for 210 yards to Dartmouth’s 68. Statistically it sounds like an even match.

The problem for Princeton was that they just couldn’t get into the end zone. Every time they got close, Dartmouth’s defense had an answer. “Big Green” now leads the series leads the series 50 to 44. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email