Second Armed Robbery Foiled at T-Mobile in Norwood

Second Armed Robbery Foiled at T-Mobile in Norwood
by David Greene

For the second time in just under a year members of the NYPD’s 52nd Precinct helped capture an armed robbery team who attempted to steal cellphones from a T-Mobile store in Norwood.

A surveillance video captured the suspects vehicle after it struck a taxi and flipped over on it’s side at East 188 Street and Webster Avenue.

The latest incident was a knife-point robbery at the T-Mobile store, located at 370 East Gun Hill Road at just after 7 p.m., on Wednesday, March 14.

Two masked suspects entered the store brandishing knifes and smashed a display case and stole four cellphones, according to one of the stores managers.

Officers on routine patrol quickly spotted the suspects vehicle, a grey Ford Expedition SUV that fled southbound on Webster Avenue.

The high-speed pursuit ended nearly 2 miles away in Fordham Heights, when the vehicle struck a taxi cab at East 188 Street.

Both suspects immediately fled from the scene, but was tackled moments later by a group of officers and detectives.

Both suspects were placed under arrest at the scene and both were transported to St. Barnabas Hospital where they received medical treatment for their injuries, described by one source as, “not life threatening.”

The unidentified taxi driver was pinned inside his vehicle and had to be freed by rescue personnel. He was also treated at St. Barnabas Hospital for minor injuries.

A surveillance video also captured NYPD police officers and detectives as they tackled one of two fleeing armed robbery suspects.

Officials say Brookyln residents Shamel Aldridge, 32, and Elijah Norris, 32, were arrested at the scene and were charged with four counts of grand larceny, criminal mischief, possession of stolen property and other charges and are being investigated for similar crimes in the North Bronx.

A manager a T-Mobile stated, “Actually, I was here that night, but I was told not to speak to any media,” after he got into trouble speaking to another media outlet.

On March 22 of last year five heavily armed suspects held up the store and attempted to steal $20,000 worth of cellphones, when police stopped the robbery in progress.

The suspects fled the scene, traveling southbound on Webster, when they crashed at the entrance to Prince Charlie Park at East 204 Street.

Dennis Green, 33, of Covington, Georgia was arrested in that case and four other suspects remain at large.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email